Thursday, February 9, 2012

My Top 10 Favorite Albums of All Time (Part 1 of 5)

I'm a huge fan of Progressive Rock/Metal, as will be evident by the end of this list. Most of my favorite bands formed in the 90s and are still out there making great music.

For the sake of keeping things fresh, I've limited myself to only listing my favorite CD from each individual band (otherwise Incubus would probably take up more than half the list). Anyway, here goes...

#10. ...And Miles to Go Before We Sleep - Vertigo
Vertigo was a small band based in the Morristown/Knoxville area in Tennessee. However, the group is now disbanded sadly. Lead singer Lindsey Stamey went on to become a member of Oh No Fiasco! (which is also a great band worth checking out). But, back to the album now, every track is just solid, well-written, and thoroughly immersible. The swelling, atmospheric effect this album creates with each song is something that has highly influenced me as a musician in my own recordings, and for this reason, it will forever hold a special place in my mind. "Progression" was easily the most captivating song I ever had the pleasure of witnessing them play live.

#9. Nirvana - Nirvana
Nirvana's self-titled, black-covered album is by far the best compilation of their songs out there. Kurt Cobain was arguably the best songwriter of the 90s and he was one of the reasons I began writing my own songs in the first place. "Heart-Shaped Box," "Dumb," and of course, "Smells Like Teen Spirit" are just a few of my favorites. RIP Kurt. I am forever grateful for your inspiration.

Nearly all of the Chili Peppers' albums are genius, but this album has several of my absolute favorite songs by them.  "Venice Queen," "Minor Thing," and "By the Way" are all classics and incredibly fun to drum along to. Chad Smith is just a beast. As a side note, I really miss the influence of John Frusciante in their newer stuff. Please, come back, John.


No comments:

Post a Comment